Bob Davies
Computer Vision
Reunion Info
Zook Houses
Newspaper Article

From The Sligo Champion, an Irish newspaper, dated 6/9/72

US Student Found Dead on Mountain

"If this accident happened in the street there would have been no problem," said Dr. Gerard P. Solan, Castlebar, during an inquest in Sligo Corthouse on a 20-year-old Harvard University student, whose body was found in a remote area at the foot of Benbulben Mountain on Thursday last.

The youth, Stephen Guy Carpenter, of 127 E. Fourth St. Illinois, may have been dead for a week before his body was found by Mr. Eugene Morgan, Rosses Point, who went to inspect sheep and horses on a 386 acre mountain farm at Barnaribbon.

Mr. Morgan said about the three miles from the main road his attention was drawn to something he noticed in a hollow. On investigation he found it to be the body of a young man. The man was fully clothed wearing a sports jacket, light pants and boots fitted for mountain climbing. A tie and shirt were thrown beside him.

The man was lying in a position which appeared as if he had taken it by choice, with his head in a raised position. He appeared so composed that at first he thought he was resting.

He called to try to awaken the man and when he got no reply and after further investigation he concluded the man was dead, Mr. Morgan said. He then notified the Garda.

Catherine M. Cawley, 71 John Street, Sligo, said on May 18th a young man, introduced as Steve Carpenter called to their house. He was introduced by a friend and stayed that night, leaving the following day at 2 pm. He then appeared to be in reasonably normal health.

She had seen the young man's remains at the County Hospital and was satisfied this was the man introduced as Steve Carpenter.

Dr. Solan, who performed a post-mortem examination, said the young man had a fracture of the right wrist, fracture of the pelvis and some hemorrhage to the interior abdominal muscles. There were no skull injuries.

In his opinion deceased died from shock and/or exposure.

Sergeant P. McDonnell, Sligo, said Mr. Morgan pointed out the place where the man lay dead, one mile from where they left the car. Witness took possession of all deceased's belonging found there, which included a passport in the name of Stephen Guy Carpenter.

On making a further search, he found a yellow mug lying in a little stream further up the mountain and a sleeping bag on a very steep ledge not far away. A haversack was found almost at the top of the mountain. One of the legs of the of the aluminium frame of the haversack was bent into a position which would prevent one from carrying it.

Diary Entry

There were some books and a diary in the haversack, Sgt. McDonnell went on. The last entry in the diary was for May 18th referring to getting a lift as far as Tubbercurry. It would be approximately a mile surface distance from the highest point of the mountain where property was found and the youth's body, which was on level ground at the foot of the mountain.

There was a complete list of the articles in Mr. Carpenter's possession in the front of the diary and by checking he accounted for all the items but glasses.

The inquest was then adjourned to the following day for the attendance of Mr. Miller, uncle of the deceased, who gave positive identification.

The coroner, Dr. P. Heraughly, expressing sympathy with the parents and relatives of the deceased, said the young man lost his life rather simply, but it showed no more than swimming alone, mountain climbing, or even mountain walking alone was very dangerous.

Supt. T. P. S. Wilson, Sligo, joined in the expression of sympathy which was replied to by Mr. S. B. Hansen, Sligo, a friend of the family.

Mr. Miller also thanked the Garda authorities, and particularly Sergeant P. McDonnell, for their efficient and compassionate handling of the investigation into the accident.